Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Summer students

We have summer students in the group. Many of them, employed over the summer to help out with research. I'm supervising one, and it is clear that I learn a lot from the experience. I'm teaching him linux, C++ and our data analysis software -- quite a big bite. He will surely know a lot after this summer.

I wish I had been a summer student. I'm learning best with my hands on things, throwing myself head first into real work. My undergraduate experience would have been so much better if I had only had (or known about) any opportunity to do something like this. I guess I could have, many students at home seem to find their way to CERN and other places in some way. I just didn't even think that there was any possibility until I had graduated.

At least I'm here now, doing real experimental work occasionally involving nuts and bolts and wires as well. It's a wonder that I didn't drop out long before I got here, given the less than encouraging experiences I've had. I guess I'm just too stubborn to give up.

And at least I can do something for the summer students that actually get to be here. Some are still teenagers!

No comments: