Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Interesting Little Brother link

Yes, yes, it's obvious: this increased tempo of posting is of course just a procrastination method. Not that I should feel that I'm procrastinating when I try to wind down in the evening, but that's how it is.

Anyway, I just want to link to this interesting post about Cory Doctorow's Little Brother by Henry Jenkins (researcher in the field of media and popular culture).

/.../Alec Resnick wrote me to ask me whether I could think of another book which had been so carefully designed to launch a resistance movement. Certainly science fiction authors have been trying to use the genre as a means of political commentary since before any one thought to call it science fiction. /.../ But I don't know of another book which provides so much detailed information on how to transform its alternative visions into realities. And as such, this may be the most subversive book aimed at young readers in the past decade.


It might not be great literature, but it is a good read -- and with the development we see right now it's probably also a very important book.

(And a question: what was the most subversive book in the previous decade?)

No comments: