Sunday, October 7, 2007

Do you know the Bible?

When we are on the subject of Bible knowledge (see the comment to the previous post) I have to mention The Harlot by the Side of the Road. My husband just finished this book, and it seems very interesting: it's about the stories in the Bible which are rarely mentioned, the censored parts if you will, the ones that are never told in Sunday school. I want to read it too, at some point, but my husband returned it to the library so I will have to remember to get it.

And I also want to take the opportunity to link to the thematically related Elliot's Adult Bible Quiz (the post starts with another quiz). Here are the answers.

OK, I confess that this is not my best subject. I'm beginning to think that it would be fun to polish up my Bible knowledge a bit!

1 comment:

Elliot said...

Two of my favourites are Three Gospels, by Reynolds Price, and The Desire of the Everlasting Hills, by Thomas Cahill. I've also heard many good things about Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman.

I've found that learning more about historical context and authorship and all those messy, disturbing bits in the Bible really made me appreciate it more as an adult. It seems more human and realistic, and makes the beautiful parts of scripture stand out even more. And I suppose I've been lucky to have some very good teachers, who combined skeptical reason with reverence and enthusiasm.