Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Carolus Linnaeus festival week

One of the most famous scientists from Sweden is Carl von Linné, internationally better known as Carolus Linnaeus and sometimes called "the flower king". It is 300 years since he was born, and the celebrations are going on for the whole year and especially this week. I know some people who are already very tired of Linnaeus, but I still think it's fun. There are lots of flowers all over town. Tomorrow is the birthday, and the Emperor of Japan is here for the occasion.

The best thing about Linnaeus I've seen so far was an interview in the Sveriges Natur magazine. Yes, an interview. First I thought that it had to be slighly embarrasing, but then I realized that the answers were almost literal quotes from things Linnaeus himself had written and it was actually very well done.

No comments: